Monday, September 7, 2009

Week 12 - Day 78

The Xena Project
Week 12 - Day 78
Kgs lost: 4
Days without sugar: 7


Hi, my name is Laura and I’m a sugarholic. Today I am one week clean *pauses for polite applause and murmurs of approval/support*.

Sugar is addictive. Yeah, yeah. It’s not much of a headline. We’ve known that for years. If you’re a female, you’ve joked about chocoholics anonymous. If you’re a guy, you’ve wondered what the big deal is about choc chip peppermint ice-cream, microwave popcorn or her copious weeping over a bag of sour cream and onion chips (thin style).

I want it down for the record that I am not on a diet. I’m not swapping stories about cutting carbs or dairy intake and not discussing the pros and cons of Tony Ferguson. I’m not eating salads for dinner or popping metabolism booster pills.

It’s true that eating sugar makes you want more sugar. It even makes you eat more food in general. It makes you put on weight and is a major contributing factor to all sorts of health problems. Yet it’s not the chemical addiction that makes it so insidious.

I’m actually on an emotional diet. I ate sugar when I was tired. I ate it when I had a headache and needed to wake up at work. I ate it when stressed. I ate it when unhappy. I ate it to treat myself. I ate it to punish myself. The momentary buzz of sugar was a relief and a burden, an escape and a prison. THAT is true addiction.

So, I’m not denying myself something I feel I really should have. I’m not doing it for a month or so to look killer in that little red dress. I’m taking ownership of my life, my heart, and my waist all at once.

Maybe this is why I haven’t craved.

No comments:

Post a Comment