Thursday, August 13, 2009

Week 8 - Day 54

The Xena Project
Week 8 - Day 54


In my mind, I have all the capabilities of a 20 year old. I have the ability to drop a dress size in a week by living off apples and cheese. I can stay out all winter's night in something skimpy and not get sick. I can have any man I want. I could probably get through a fight by relying on sheer guts and quick thinking. I still have time before I have to grow up.


Someone asked me recently why I'm going on this fitness journey. I answered honestly (brutally and awkwardly as only I can). It is because I feel that time is running out for me. Time is not on my side where it comes to everything sitting where it should and working as it should. The fitness journey is taking longer and I'm working much harder than my 20 year old self expected. All being well ... I will have a brief, shining window of opportunity to be that glorious goddess of perfect fitness and form before age and those other joys of life take their toll.

I went back to bootcamp this morning after two weeks with the flu. I always inevitably get sick whenever I decide to be healthy. It's Murphy's way of providing that extra motivational challenge. While I'm still, fortunately, among the fitter, I am clearly no longer 20.

Then again, at least I don't fall on the ground dramatically mewling and scowling like it's highschool gym and this is sooo totally like ugh! I have to pretend those 20yr olds aren't in the class in case my boot accidentally connects with their backsides. Then there was the 20yr old this morning GHDing her hair as I walked into the bathroom. I had a shower, dressed, dried my hair etc and when I left she was still standing there perfecting the little curl at the end of her ponytail.

I think perhaps it's better not to be 20, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment