Thursday, August 20, 2009

Week 9 - Day 61

The Xena Project
Week 9 - Day 61


When the hero shows weakness, it is usually a plot device. The cliffhanger gets you to tune in after the commercials or the next show. Then you find out it was all a part of the hero's master plan and, of course, they were only acting. There are some exceptions to this. Frodo really did choose the ring at Mt Doom before fate saved him. Anakin really did turn to the dark side, but we all knew this because we saw Return of the Jedi before Revenge of the Sith.

I didn't go to bootcamp this morning.

I faced my moment of weakness and I gave in. I just couldn't face all the running and lifting when I carry inside me the heaviest substance known to man, the human heart. Forget Uranium or element 118. A hurting heart weighs far more. I think I'd quickly become the richest person on earth if I discovered the miracle cure for this. Heartbreak is like hiccups. Everyone has their own cure, from alcohol to chocolate to rebound sex. In the end, it's all just licking your lips against a dry wind. The relief is brief and then you're worse off than before.

I lay in bed in the dark, Samson purring at my feet because the alarm usually means a big pat and some breakfast. I lay there, I pulled the pillow closer and I went back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment