Sunday, August 30, 2009

Week 11 - Day 71

Week 11 - Day 71
Kgs lost: 4
Days without sugar: 0


By popular vote (and also because I agree) there will be no bootcamp this month. I lay in bed this morning, listening to the rain, snuggling further under the doona and felt truly luxurious. The plan was to start boxing classes downstairs in the gym twice a week during lunchtimes. Yet, today as I booked the time into my diary, I was immediately flummoxed. I faced the problem that all white collar workers face. Everything gets booked over. This is especially true if you deal with Managers (their time being more important than yours).

So, I'll have to do much more than the 75% of the boxing classes I can turn up to.

The other major news I have today is that I have decided to go 1 year without sugar as of 1 September 2009. It's the first day of spring, after all. After the look of horror on people's faces, they said to me 'why don't you just do it for a month? That way you won't feel so bad when you fail.' The problem with doing anything for a month is that it's finite. It's short. You do it for a bit and then you go back to the way you were because the light at the end of the tunnel was never far away. If you do something for a year, it forces you to become inventive about how you live your life.

I have to be reasonable, though. Everything we eat is saturated in sugar. Our cultural palate is growing duller by the day and we require more salt, more sugar, more artificial flavours to make our taste sensations. Short of turning hermit and making all my own food from scratch (growing my own veggies and killing my own chooks), I will have to set some boundaries around this sugar goal.

Yes list: All alcohol contains sugar. Am I going dry for 1 year? Unlikely. Allowable drinks include wine and spirits mixed with juice or sugar free softdrink like Coke Zero or Pepsi Max. Also, yes to fruit juice, keeping it as natural as possible. Yes to fruit. Yes to honey. Yes to mochas (I'm not giving up coffee, sorry). Yes to bread and pasta.
No list: Softdrinks (except sugar free), alcopops, flavoured milks, processed sugar items like chocolate, icecream and lollies, bakery treats like doughnuts, cakes and slices, cereals like Cocoa Pops and Cornflakes.

Slight hiccup in my plans ... who wants those milk chocolate raspberry bullets I just ordered from Melbourne?

No comments:

Post a Comment